Thursday 2 June 2011

Introducing Me!

June 2, 2011

Yesterday, I rolled out our weekly newsletter and was mulling over what to write in the blog this week.  To refresh my memory I was reading back through the previous editions - checking out where I'd gone in the past twelve weeks.  It was then that I realized something.  I'd never properly introduced myself.  I'm just some nameless blogger, typing away about something that is near and dear to my heart.

So, firstly, my name is Hilary and I'm the Director of Operations for Murray Premises Hotel, St. John's Executive Suites and Regal Realty.  Pleased to meet you.  I've been associated in one way or another with this group of company for (holy cow) two and a half years.  The association was, well, a little complicated at the beginning so I won't explain it.  It's also a dreadfully boring tale.

.....and now confession time.  I have a secret and I hope that you won't think less of me when I share it.  Here we go.  I'm a mainlander, a CFA!  Shocking isn't it.  One of those people born and raised in a little town just north of Toronto.  When I was there, it was a farm town.  Lots of fields and cows right in our back yard.  Now, it's suburbia - right dead centre of the commuter belt, but hey, that's their problem.  I recognized the signs and got out while the getting was good.

I didn't end up here immediately.  When I was younger, I tried the west.  Northern Alberta for a couple of years (not bad).  Norther coastal British Columbia for a couple (beautiful but WAY TOO MUCH RAIN).  Back to Ontario to make sure that I really didn't want to live there and then (sigh) Newfoundland.  I flitted around with a few other hotels in town, had a great time and then, hit the mother lode at Murray Premises.  I love my job.  I love the people.  I love the hotel and I adore this building.

A few years ago, I was asked by the company that I was working for to help out a hotel in Ottawa for a few weeks.  I like Ottawa.  Great city.  Lots to do.  Really pretty  It wasn't until I finished though, that I realized just how much this province had gotten into my blood.  On the flight back, we banked as we were coming into the airport and there they were - the cliffs of Signal Hill and the ocean.  It was at this point that my whole body went ahhhhhhhh.  Yep, I was home.

So for those of you out there reading this:
If you're a Newfoundlander, I hope that you'll read what I'm writing, think it's okay and allow me to stay.
If you're not a Newfoundlander - please don't be too jealous and keep reading.  You can live your life vicariously through me if it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment